Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Marsa Matrouh

On our way to Marsa Matrouh, we first stopped at a war memorial at Al Alemain. We walked around a little museum until the gas filter on our bus could be fixed.

It was a small but interesting museum, I was just extremely tired and wanted to get back on the bus for some more nap time.


Next we headed to the cemetery of British soldiers lost in World War II at the battle of Al Alemain. It was extremely sad there. I found a boy who was 17 years old in the Navy who had passed away and I couldn't hold back the tears. It ended up being a lot more upsetting than I expected. However, because it was very tranquil I was able to reflect on my feelings.

Back on the bus, we continued our journey to Marsa Matrouh, everyone had their fingers crossed for no more delays. We got to Beau Site without anymore troubles and the Mediterranean looked absolutely stunning. We spent most of the day on the beach and out in the ocean on a plastic raft thing and the relaxation definitely helped everyone. It was a much need vacation. After time at the beach, Sonja and I went exploring down the street and settled on a little cafe and just spent our time talking about everything. It was great.

A little bit later, a bigger group met up with us and we took them to the same place where we were just sitting to have some refreshments and shisha and hang out. Once everyone had their drinks and things, Sonja posed the question.. "if you could do one more thing in Egypt what would it be?" and then "what was the most culturally shocking experience here for you?" Some people made jokes, but most peoples answers were interesting and truthful. I decided that I would want to go to the Red Sea if I could and culturally shocking for me was the children here.

Later we talked more about everything, politics, people, most subjects weren't left untouched. It was really nice.
The next morning we got up early to head to the beach before breakfast then packed up everything to go to Siwa!

No comments: