Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Syonara's House

Today was the day of our final in Arabic class, I got a 100 which was awesome! But after everyone had taken the final we left AUC to go to Syonara's house to begin preparing for her children's birthday party.

We started by helping Syonara make koshary for everyone which I found to be extremely easy to make. I might even make some once I get back home!! Her kitchen was very hot though and I was feeling a little drained and sick so I sporatically left to do some resting in the living room. During the preparation of the koshary we also blew up some balloons and sprawled them out on the floor for when the kids got home.

After a long time of waiting and cooking, the koshary was done! And we were able to dig in. Let me tell you this stuff was amazing! We had gone to Abo Tareq earlier in the week which is supposed to be a famous koshary place, and these people have NOTHING on Syonara!

I lounged around for a bit, still not feeling up to par until Syonara's sister and nephew Mustafa arrived. Next came Syonara's two children, accompanied by their neighbor and soon who were from Boston, go figure! Everyone put on their party hats, there wasn't enough for me :(

But we all just hung out and played with the kids, sung happy birthday, ate birthday cake, and opened presents.

It was so much fun being able to spend time with a family, because I know at this point I'm really starting to miss my own. But at around 5 we decided it was time to head back to Zamalek so Joyce, Alyssa, April, and I took a taxi back to the island and got our sleep on!

No comments: