Sunday, May 4, 2008

Coptic Cairo

We spent the day on Saturday touring Coptic Cairo, but before that I had my first ride in Abduh's car! It was completely amazing listening to the dialogue between Abdo, Dr. Denis, and Gracie. Not only was it nuts being in a car in Cairo, considering the craziness of traffic in the city (even though I know there's a method to the madness) but we also had a good time trying to help Abduh pronounce my name (bridge.. with a T) before he said.. "Bridget Bardot!".. haha. That's me! I would have never expected him to think of her. The ride was so much fun, Abdo is such a happy and wonderful guy. I think we'll all be a little bummed when we're in Aswan and Luxor and won't be seeing him throughout the day.

After the awesome ride, the touring began and the churches were beautiful in an old, majestic kind of way. Churches aren't really my thing, but I couldn't help but admire the exquisite detail. We went to the Hanging Church, and then the second one was very beautiful place - the Nunnery of Saint George - where some people chose to go into a prayer room with the chains that are believed to have bounded St. George when he was martyred. After the nunnery, there was a church dedicated to the home of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. Then we entered the Ben Ezra Synagogue, which was a synagogue unlike any other that I've seen before. I think there had to be at least a million stars of David everywhere.

Our last stop of the day was the site of the very first mosque in Africa, the Amr ibn al-'As mosque. I think that this was my favorite spot. Everything was so completely peaceful and open. I didn't even mind having to be veiled, I thought that that made things even more beautiful.

No comments: