Saturday, May 24, 2008

Islamic Cairo

Today we had our tour of Islamic Cairo with Iman who was an amazingly intelligent tour guide. As soon as we got off the vans at the first mosque I saw Grace's family and got really excited, so I ran over and gave everyone hugs and kisses. But anyway, the first of the three mosques was Ibn Tulun, a very simple but incredibly beautiful site. The next two were the mosques of Hassan and Mohammad Ali. The Hassan Mosque was extremely intricate and when used it had places for dorms for students of the various sects of the religion. The mosque of Mohammad Ali was extremely decorated and I found it completely distracting from the whole idea of prayer.

Overall I find mosques to be so tranquil and soothing. Despite the fact that I was already extremely tired from the crazy night before, I found that I could have just sat in the mosque for hours, meditating and calming my nerves. It's a beautiful feeling.
The day before April, Drew, Andrew, and I got to spend some quality time with Lyna who took us to a great pizza place -- Papa John's! I wasn't expecting her to take us there when we told her to take us for good pizza, but it ended up being such a nice place. Real fine dining, which is weird compared to the ones in the states. But I enjoyed being able to hang out with Lyna one on one and learn about her life in Egypt, she's definitely a great girl.





Sunday morning I slept in real late until Diana woke me up to go to lunch with Ted and Oscar at Cafe Vivant. We spent a good amount of time there just talking and hanging out until Diana had to go to the clinic because, guess what, she had TONSILITIS! yummmmm
But they got her some antibiotics and despite some people's warnings, she went out with us to El Fishawy in Khan el Khalili with Omar, Ziko, Ruthie, Sonja, Drew, Andrew, Cynthia, etc... We had some shisha, amazing cinnamon drinks, and a nice round of spin the bottle which turned out to actually be truth or dare. Then we headed over to Heliopolis for some ice cream and then back to Zamalek for an early day of classes.

No comments: